13 July 2009

A garden on the rebound


The past two weeks have seen more sun than rain. The balance has actually been quite beneficial for our plants. The first week after all the rain was a serious drying out period for the plants. There were a lot of yellow leaves out there and very little action. Since that first week, though, things have really been looking up. These first three shots are of our paste tomatoes on the new trellis. We are very pleased with how this thing has turned out. We are also very excited that we can reuse it without much prep for a number of seasons to come.



Since we got everything in so late (as you have heard/read me complain about often) there isn't much else to report; we have been using some of the herbs, lightly, and we should be able to dip into the chard any day now. Our summer squash is looking very healthy, but no signs of flowers just yet. Aside from the chard, our first real harvest looks like it will be green beans. Our bushing variety (jade, I believe) just started to flower two days ago.


Something I will begin to share shortly will be my newest adventure in bicycle commuting. Meg and I live just five miles from where I teach, as opposed to the 85 mile hike from last year. My intentions are to bike the five miles as often as I can, but that's another post for another day. The reason I bring it up is because I saw the coolest clip on Rob's blog, One Straw Revolution, and it got me to thinking about my bike and what I have to do to get it ready for the fall semester. The bike in the clip is far more sophisticated than what I have, but it got me thinking nonetheless.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am envious of your tomato supports!! pretty pathetic, huh? but i planned well and it just did not work out. my tomato cages are 5 feet high but my tomatoes are 6 feet and still growing. did they read 'jack and the tomato stalk' or something? yours just look so.......substantial. i wish for you that you get enough tomatoes to test their strength!!!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am envious of your tomato supports!! pretty pathetic, huh? but i planned well and it just did not work out. my tomato cages are 5 feet high but my tomatoes are 6 feet and still growing. did they read 'jack and the tomato stalk' or something? yours just look so.......substantial. i wish for you that you get enough tomatoes to test their strength!!!