16 October 2007

Freezing

Since we've been gardening, the idea of eating out of season has become more and more strange. Grocery store tomatoes aren't so great even in the summer, so I really don't want anything to do with an underripe, imported-from-Chile, January tomato. I don't want to know where that tomato came from or what was done to it that made it so pink.

Eventually, we'll be totally self-sufficient with produce from our garden. But if we happen to hit peak oil this winter and can't rely on Wegmans, we could last comfortably for, oh, three weeks. That's better than most people, I suppose. We managed to fill our tiny freezer:


And my parents bought us a bigger one as a wedding gift. We set it up and got it running yesterday, and moved all of our food to it this morning:


It looks so sad and empty. This week I'm going to make as much pesto as I can out of the crop of basil that's holding on in the garden, and we can probably harvest quite a few peppers.

The freezer inventory so far:
  • nine bags of tomato soup
  • eight bags of zucchini/yellow squash soup
  • one big bag of corn
  • three big bags of green beans
  • ten bags of tomato sauce
  • three containers of hot sauce
  • two bags of hot peppers

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks so neat (tidy). Enjoy! mom

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious...and smart!!!

anna said...

I know this is a really old post so you might not even remember, but where did you find your dividers for your chest freezer? Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi Anna,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The dividers came with the freezer. I remember not all of the models had them, so they were a delightful extra.

If you're having a hard time finding dividers for your model freezer, I would suggest using milk crates.

anna said...

Thank you for getting back to me! Looks like it will be milk crates :)

Ryan said...

I have read that milk crates in a chest freezer will crack.

RachelDZ said...

I know I'm a little late, but I think I found those dividers on Amazon! Type in "freezer dividers". That's what I've been looking for and that's how I found this post. SO I thought I'd share.