04 October 2007

Where the Time Goes

Okay, okay, I know that I have been making excuses about time and how we should write more, but damn if we're not wicked busy. We both started new jobs receintly, which is going fantastic, and getting acclimated to our new schedules is taking some time. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Although our schedules have been shuffled around, we have remained active in the garden. We planted our fall crops, which were then consumed by deer, and built mini hoop houses for the beds so the crops will last beyond the first frost. The chickens are taking to their new pen, but their egg production has ceased. We can't figure out what their problem is, but the moment we do, we'll be sure to let you know a month later. [Writer's Block]

The flowers in our garden are still blooming. I think they may be the only flowers that are doing well in our area. There is no other way to describe it without photos, so imagine a bunch of brown and autumn bent yards broken by a mysteriously colorful garden tucked on the otherside of a diseased orchard. I noticed this last week when I went in the garden to follow a humming bird that was traficing between some morning glories and cardinal climbers. When I located its main area of activity, I soon realized that there were quite a few more birds enjoying our flowers. I swear to you that when I stood up it was like I was swimming in a cloud of little birds. It was amazing. The heat is continuing to stick, so hopefully with the help of our water barrels, we can continue to enjoy our little aviary just a bit longer.

No comments: