17 December 2007

While Huffing Sage



I have no idea how to introduce this post...
I was gathering some sage and thyme this afternoon for a batch of cabbage and potato soup. Although this is all we have going on in our garden, other than some root veggies, I do like to hang out in there and mentally map out our possible plant rotation.

So there I was, huffing sage, staring off into space, cogitated, when I realized, "Man we are going to need a shitload of nasturtium seeds." You see, our squashes (oh yeah, all of them) were eradicated by squash bugs. After the disaster we discovered that nasturtiums are great companions to squash plants, specifically to keep away these types of pests. As I was daydreaming about our garden for next year I realized that we are planning to have a good deal of squash in all sorts of varieties. Since the squash bug will suck on anything in the squash family I figured that we were going to need, you got it, a shitload of nasturtiums.

Meg and I have been trying our best to save seeds this year and have done fairly well in our quest. Now most of our garden is cleared out and turned, but there are some flowerbed corpses that still have not been scoured for seeds. I ventured to the shade garden area to see if I could scrounge up some yellow-nasturtium seeds, but soon realized that I really wasn't too thrilled with digging through all kinds of frozen debris for little brain-looking seeds. However, I did manage to grab a few more cardinal climber seeds (pictured above) that were dangling nearby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post! I could smell the sage right with you.

Where did you come across the info on nasturtium?

Unknown said...

Hey Rob, it's good to hear from you. The source in which I read about nasturtiums and sqush bugs is from John Jeavons's book, "How to Grow More Vegetables." It truly is the best resource for companion planting. There are so many ways plants can help eachother both above and below the soil. The only trick is figuring out which plants to pair together. As I've said many times, Meg and I are new to this, but it is books like this that really help move things in a positive direction.