15 January 2009

Raw Deal


We're lucky to live in a state that is really pretty lenient about raw milk sales—Robbyn at The Back Forty has tons of info on some of the ridiculous regulations that other states have. Anyway, we occasionally pick up raw milk at our awesome local food co-op, Kimberton's, which has pretty much everything in the way of local, organic, and sustainable food. A couple days ago I stopped in and learned that they've got milk from a new dairy that uses nice, re-usable glass bottles. I paid a $2 bottle deposit and picked up a jug—much nicer than the little plastic bottles we used to get.

If you've never had raw milk, I highly recommend giving it a try. It's delicious, and you can search raw milk producers by state at the Weston A. Price Foundation's Real Milk page, on eatwild.com, or on www.localharvest.org.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My local dairy works much the same way - $1 bottle deposit for each 1/2 gallon, then just the cost of milk. Return the glass bottle each time and get a new one. They even do home delivery.
The dairy does raw milk as well as pasturized (as do a couple other local places) but I've always gone with the pasturized. What made you select raw?

Era said...

I live in PA too and I've been flirting with the idea of buying raw milk (a nearby store has the same deal with the deposit for the glass bottle). Is the taste a lot richer?

Kelly said...

oh, I am so jealous. Right next door in OH, it's illegal to sell raw milk in any way shape or form... I have heard of a few farmers who sell shares in the cow and part of that share is pickup of fresh milk. I'd like to find one nearby who would let me in on such a setup...I'd love, love, love to start making raw milk cheese!

CatHerder said...

you are so lucky...i had it the first time when i took a cheesemaking class at a farm ...theyre very strict in my area

Anonymous said...

Milk in glass bottles just seems to taste better! We used to get our milk in Colorado from a dairy that delivered in glass bottles, it was heaven! and growing up as a teenager, my dad would go to a tiny little whole in the wall grocery in order to get the glass bottles of milk! Now our milk comes from our cow, but I still remember those glass bottles fondly! (and when our cow dries out we will get glass again)

Irma said...

Sadly, I live in an area where it is illegal to sell raw milk. I am hoping that, through chatting with area farmers, I will find someone who is willing to sell me some "under the counter"... I know my cheesemaking will benefit!

Anonymous said...

Right in the store? Man, that's lucky! We've been hunting for a while to find a milk share anywhere within a reasonable driving distance of home!

Robbyn said...

Thanks for the mention, Meg...I'm happy you can get it in the glass bottles! We soooooooo want real milk here...there is just nothing like it

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.